Community service is valuable to students
Community service is a very laudable activity as it is performed by people for the benefit of the public or its institutions. However, volunteering is not identical with performing community service as the latter is not always done voluntarily.
Why perform community service?
1. A government requirement as a part of citizenship duties; instead of performing military service;
2. Court demand instead of or in addition to, other criminal justice penalties when performed for this reason it can also be known as community payback;
3. A mandate by the school to complete class requirement as in the case of service-learning or to fulfillments requirements of graduation; and
4. In some countries, like the UK, it is condition to receive certain benefits, including disability-related ones.
Benefits of community service to students:
1. Community service provides physical and mental rewards.
It is an ideal stress-reducer as experts reported that when you focus on someone other than yourself. Through this task, students interrupt the usual tension-producing pattern in home and school. Working for the community will be your way of developing better healthier practice that leads to favorable moods and positive emotions as confidence about the future, joy, and contentment that alleviates your state and fortifies the immune system.
2. Community service is a resource-saver.
Valuable community services done by students are best options to promote economy of resource in the locality. Imagine that for improvements, personnel-on-the job are paid $15.39 per hour. Service done through community service arrangement is with no cost.
3. Community service offers students more experience to the work.
Even if the task is unrelated to the student’s course, the activity is good training and test to one’s career. It is similar to an on-the-job training for individual’s to learn to work, get along with people and a good practice before reality.
4. Community service is a good way to bond with people.
Consider your work in bringing service to the community. You work with people coming from diverse background towards a common goal. As you get to know your team, you create camaraderie and learning how to work as one.
5. Community service is a ticket to personal growth and self esteem.
It is a great opportunity to be able to work and serve in your community. This is a chance offered by your school to place in the midst of a work setting. Whatever your course is, you will be working with people. This task places you in the midst of all sorts of people and learns to adjust with them. You will understand the bloodline of a community and learn to foster empathy and self-efficacy.
6. Community service is your way to â€“
Get into a daycare or eldercare center and offer support to the families of the young and aged who are busy with livelihood to support their loved ones. You can also join a tutorial and after school program to improve the school’s mentoring and literacy program. As a mentor, support young people in after-=school activity. You will go a long way in beautifying the community participating in the beach and park clean-ups.
7. Community service teaches you lessons in life.
As a service volunteer, you will learn things outside of your homes and school. You will discover hidden talents in what you are able to do and develop self-worth and confidence. You will get an inside picture of your government as you work side-by-side with people operating the government and the local NGOs. You will acquire an in-depth understanding of your community as to its local resources and needs.
8. Community service enhances personal and social responsibility.
Middle and high school students who participated in service-learning programs showed developed high degree in their personal & social responsibility, ability to communicate and higher sense of educational competence. This task is an investment in our community and the people who live in it.
Community service is like pay-back time
Giving back to the community through voluntary service is a two-way street as your contribution will come back to you. You give but the roi is even greater so it is valuable to students.Similar Posts: