Wondering Why?

Why is MSG harmful?

Why is MSG harmful?

If you search the internet about MSG, you will find lots of sites which talks about the harmful effects of continuous MSG consumption. Oftentimes it is blamed to be the cause of various diseases like migraines, heart disease, hypertension, chest pains, ADD, depression, deh`ydration, high blood pressure, stroke, obesity, and other neurological health problems.

There are also various reports of people having allergies and sensitivities due to MSG ingestion. Some symptoms may include the following: nausea, drowsiness, heart palpitations, asthma attack and sometimes anaphylactic shock. The glutamate industry knew that ingesting MSG toxin can cause diabetes and adrenal gland function and if you experience any of these symptoms then you must consider eliminating MSG from your diet.

Though there may be a lot of reasons to stop the use of MSG, the Bureau of Food and Drug Administration (FDA) still classifies MSG as a ‘generally recognized safe, food ingredient and is required to be listed in the label of every food that has it.

MSG stands for Monosodium glutamate. It is a type of flavor enhancer commonly added in Chinese foods, processed meats and canned-goods. It is seen as a neurotransmitter because it stimulates a person’s brain cell activity. It tricks your brain into thinking that the food you are eating, even though it is made from inferior ingredients, tastes really good. The food industry is greatly concerned about the excessive use of MSG because of its harmful effect to the human brain. What it does is that it over-stimulates the brain cells. Over-stimulation can lead to various health problems like heart arrhythmia and fibromyalgia.

Unlike MSG which is manufactured only with sodium salt of glutamate, glutamate is a natural amino acid found in protein rich foods like milk, fish, and mushroom and even mother’s milk. Glutamate is a highly regulated chemical of the nervous system and is needed to be properly balanced in order to attain a healthy brain and organ function.

MSG, being an artificial flavoring can be bad for the body if taken excessively. But as of now, there are only speculations as to its harmful effects. And there are still others especially Asians, who claim that it is safe. In conclusion, whether it is really harmful or not, it all depends on the one who consumes it.

Share




Do you think the article can be improved? Share Your Expertise

Please note: comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.