Why is Walmart bad for America
Since 1962, Walmart has become a household name all throughout America. Known as the biggest chain of discount department store, in addition to the string of warehouse stores, it was established by a true-blood entrepreneur Sam Walton that operates under the principles of selling premium goods and products, friendly atmosphere and service, and most of all low prices that can be easily afforded by the customers.
However in 2005, Zogby International released a poll stating that 56% of American adults (who undergone the survey) perceived that Walmart is bad for America. It may provide low prices, but these prices come with a high moral and economic cost for customersÃ¢â‚¬Â as compared to the 39% of Americans who have agreed stating that Walmart is good for America. It provides low prices and saves consumers money everydayÃ¢â‚¬Â.
Below are the various reasons why Walmart is said to be bad for AmericaÃ¢â‚¬Â
- Walmart kills its competitors, the Mom and PopÃ¢â‚¬Â stores, which mainly composed of local merchants and small businesses. Because of this, it is said that Walmart destroys more jobs rather than create new ones.
- Walmart is criticized for robbing its employees by making them work part-time and with low salary rates.
- Some of the Walmart employees have little health care benefits, while others have none at all.
- Walmart does not allow its employees to enter or create a union.
- A number of Walmart products are sold cheap mainly because they are imported from China
- And, Walmart is harmful for the environment as the federal government charges 17 of its stores nationwide for violating the Clean Water Act.
The same survey also showed that 65% of the Americans viewed that Walmart’s public image has gone down because of all these criticisms. Nonetheless there are still people who choose to shop at Walmart taking advantage of its low commodity prices regardless of the issue.