Similarities Between 14K and 18K Gold

, , Leave a comment

Gold is one of the most highly valued precious metals that has been used for currency and jewelry for thousands of years. Because of its beauty and durability, it has become a symbol of wealth and prosperity in many cultures throughout history. Gold coins were used as a medium of exchange way back. Today, gold is one of the most valuable commodities that are being used as a form of reserve currency by central banks and investors all over the world. That being said, the numbers 14K and 18K refer to the purity of gold, which is measured in karats (sometimes called “carats”). Generally, the higher the karat value, the higher the percentage of gold.

What is 14K Gold?

If you’re wearing a ring, chances are the ring is marked 18K, 14K, or 10K, with the K standing for karat. The numbers are not merely numbers; they carry a meaning. 14K is the most commonly used gold for jewelry. 14K means 14 out of 24 parts are pure gold and the remaining 10 parts are one or more additional metals. 14K gold is 58.3% pure gold while the remaining 41.7% is a mix of other metals and allows such as copper, silver, zinc and nickel.

In some countries, such as the United States, gold is marked with numbers that indicate their percentage of gold. For example, 14K is typically marked as “585” which means that it is 58.5% pure gold. The karat marking should be accompanied by a hallmark or trademark that identifies its maker.

What is 18k gold?

18K, as the name suggests, is a little closer to the pure gold in jewelry settings. 18K means 18 out of 24 parts are pure gold, which makes it exquisitely stunning. 18K is 75% pure gold and the remaining 25% is a mix of metals such as copper, silver and other alloys. It is undoubtedly a very good quality gold because fewer metals and alloys are mixed with the gold to make it 18K. The 18 karat gold is slightly brighter than the 14 karat gold. 18K gold is often marked as 750 to indicate 75% gold.

Similarities between 14K and 18K Gold

  1. Appearance – Both the 14K and 18K have the characteristic yellow, warm and luxurious hue of gold. The 18K gold, because of the higher percentage of gold, provides a brighter yellow and whiter white color. Both can be mixed with other metals and alloys such as zinc, silver, copper and nickel to create white gold and rose gold colors.
  2. Durability – Both 14K and 18K gold are durable and resistant to daily wear and tear. Pure gold is very soft and isn’t practical for daily wear. Hence, other metals are mixed with it to make it more pure. With a lower gold percentage, the 14K gold is slightly harder and more scratch-resistant. However, both are corrosion-resistant compared to other metals such as silver.
  3. Maintenance – Both 14K and 18K gold require less maintenance and care. For better care, regular cleaning and polishing is enough to keep their shine and luster. You can clean both of them using a mild soap solution and a soft-bristled brush. You can also use a specialized gold cleaning solution. Overall, both offer a great mix of purity and durability.


While 14K and 18K gold differ in their purity levels, they offer a great mix of purity and durability. They are two of the most common types of gold used in jewelry and are great choices of investment for anyone who loves gold jewelry. Both are made by combining gold with other metals, but the difference lies in their proportions. 14K gold is 58.3% pure gold whereas 18K gold is 75% pure gold.


How does 18K gold compared to 14K?

14K gold is 58.3% pure gold whereas 18K gold is 75% pure gold. This means that 18K is more valuable and also more expensive than 14K gold.

Does 14K and 18K gold look the same?

Juts a glance and you probably won’t be able to tell the difference. However, if you look closely, you will see that 18K is a more vivid yellow gold that looks brighter than 14K gold. The 14 karat gold appears isn’t quite strong as 18 karat gold. 

Can you tell the difference between 14K and 18K?

If you’re not familiar with gold, you probably will not be able to tell the difference between 14K and 18K gold. The 18K gold is richer yellow while 14K gold has a lighter tone due to the alloys added. However, it is almost impossible to tell them apart just by looking at them.

Is there a big difference between 14K and 18K gold?

The difference is not huge, but it is significant. For one, 18K gold is 75% pure gold whereas 14K gold is only 58.5% pure gold. This is why 18K is more valuable and expensive than 14K gold.

How can you tell if gold is 18k at home?

You can look for hallmarks or stamps that indicate the purity of gold in karats. 18K gold will have a small stamp on the inside of the gold jewelry that reads 18K. You can also use the float test to determine the purity of gold. Take a glass or cup of water and drop the gold into it. If the gold floats, it is not real. If the gold sinks, then you can be sure that it is pure gold.

Can I wear 14k gold in the shower?

It is considered safe to wear 14K gold jewelry in the shower. However, prolonged exposure to water may cause the gold to tarnish or it may be dull over time.

Which is better 18k or 14k?

18K is 75% pure gold meaning 18 out of 24 parts are pure gold. 14K, on the other hand, is only 58.5% gold and 14 out of 24 parts are pure gold. Both are commonly used for jewelry, particularly for engagement rings. 18K is more aesthetically pleasing whereas 14K is more budget-friendly. So, at the end of the day, it’s about personal preference, budget and use.

Can you wear 18k gold every day?

Yes, 18K gold can be worn daily as it will not oxidize or discolor. But it is important to note that 18K means higher percentage of gold, which makes it more prone to scratching or bending, compared to 14K gold.

Does 14-karat gold fade?

As the most popular choice of gold jewelry, 14K gold is less likely to fade. But, it may get dull over time due to exposure to moisture, air and chemicals. With proper care, you can maintain its shine and luster.

Author: Sagar Khillar

Facebook Comments
Help us improve. Please rate this article:

Leave a Reply