Why is Abortion Wrong?
Is abortion wrong?
Since 1973, the women in America have been given the legal right to obtain an abortion in all 50 states during their nine months of pregnancy, for any given reason at all. Due to this legitimacy, over 56 million unborn children have been killed that is even more than the entire population of South Korea. It could be translated to around 155 babies’ death per hour or about 1baby dying every 24 seconds.
Abortion versus murder:
Considered from any point of view, abortion is akin to murder. From a layman’s definition, murder is ending the life of another human being for no reason or for any justifiable cause; while abortion is intentionally ending human pregnancy that is often performed around its first 28th week.
Abortion is murder since the fetus inside the mother is a living being and it is thriving. An abortion terminates the growing process, therefore nipping at its bud the future life of a human being. This tiny being has a pulsating heartbeat while its brain is active as cells are dividing and developing.
Top three reasons for abortion:
Often cited by women for not continuing their pregnancies and giving birth are:
1. A pregnancy that happens in the wrong time and place can have a lifelong consequence on a woman’s ability to support a family. Pregnant schoolgirls are likely to discontinue their education; as well as single pregnant employees have to take a leave from their jobs and interrupt their careers.
2. Financial instability is another good reason since most expectant mothers do not have the resources to cover the cost of giving birth and the ubiquitous expenses involved in childrearing. The estimated basic cost of raising a child from infancy until the age of 17 is a minimum amount of over $200,000 per child.
3. Relationship problem takes the core; aside from interruption of her education or career and insufficient financial resources. Following an abortion, the number of breakup marriages and relationship dissolution is anywhere from 40 to 75% as a consequence of the breakdown of intimacy and trust.
These and other reasons are not adequate to make abortion the right option as most women in the same situation are able to cope with these difficulties with flying colors.
Why abortion is wrong:
1. Abortion disrupts the natural order.
Abortion is bad as it changes the natural order. As soon as life is started in the mother’s womb, it is well on its way and its development should not be disrupted. The right to live is a moral principle based on the belief that a human being has the right to live and specifically should not be unjustly killed by another human being.
2. Abortion is killing the weakest and most defenseless.
The fetus cannot defend himself but he can already feel even though it may not be fully formed. A 2nd trimester fetus is sensitive to pain. Based on scientific evidence, even unborn babies feel pain. Modern technology uses sonograms and live-action ultrasound images that showed neonatologists and nurses that even unborn babies at 20 weeks of gestation are able to react physically to outside stimuli such as sound, light and touch.
3. Abortion is traumatically harmful to all women.
The trauma comes in varied forms as emotional, psychological, physical, relational, and spiritual. In some cases, some women lost their lives through abortion. Common are the emotional and psychological effects ranging from mild regret to more serious complications as depression.
4. Abortion is a physical risk.
A study made by the medical journal of Public Health Association of America found that women who had abortion are facing a high incidence risk of 50% increased subsequent tubal or ectopic pregnancy and other immediate complications. A government funded study in Finland proved that women who abort are approximately four times more likely to die
Do you think the article can be improved? Share Your Expertise
You must be logged in to post a comment.