The similarities between U.S. Presidents Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy are really very fascinating and strange. Both of the presidents were well known, popular and respected by their citizens for their social and political efforts. But they were also hated by some people who were opposed of their political views. Because of this reason both of them were assassinated during their tenure. This is one of the key similarities between Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy. For better understanding of the similarities between Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy, one needs to know about their social life and political career first
About President Abraham Lincoln
- Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12 1809 in Kentucky, to Thomas and Nancy Hanks Lincoln.
- His father was a farmer who had to move his family from Kentucky to Indiana in 1816 due to some land title dispute.
- Due to his interest he was able to read, write and do basic math by borrowing book from his neighbors but the whole duration of his schooling was not more than a year.
- In 1830, his family moved to Illinois but in 1831, he moved to New Salem, a town in Illinois and lived alone.
- In 1832, he began his political career by campaign for the General Assembly of Illinois but he lost.
- Due to his popularity, Lincoln was elected and served as a captain during the Black Hawk War.
- In 1834, he won and elected to the state legislature and reelected in 1836, 1838 and 1840 continuously.
- In 1836, he got license to practice law.
- In 1842, he got married to Mary Ann Todd and in the year 1846, he was elected to the U.S. House of representatives.
- In 1856, he joined the new Republican Party which was opposing the slavery system.
- In 1860, he won the election and became the 16th president of the United States.
- The slaveholding states declare their compact with the United States and many civil wars started.
- In 1862, he declares his Emancipation Proclamation which means all persons who are held as slaves shall be free with in any state of the United States.
- In 1864, he reelected as the president.
- In 1865, the civil wars end.
- On April 14 1865, Lincoln was shot in the head by an actor named John Wilkes Booth Ford’s Theater and he died the next day morning.
About President John F. Kennedy
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy was born on 29 may 1917 in Brookline, Massachusetts, to Joseph Patrick and Rose Elizabeth Kennedy who belongs to a wealthy political family.
- He was a privileged kid who attended private schools like Canterbury and Choate in Connecticut till 12th
- In September 1936 he enrolled to Harvard College where he started showing interest in political philosophy.
- In 1940 he graduated as with a degree of Bachelor of Arts in government from Harvard College.
- In 1941 Kennedy joined Naval Reserve of the United States.
- In 1946, he won the election and became a member of the U.S. House of Representatives and also reelected in the year 1948 and 1950 again from Massachusetts congressional district.
- In 1952, he became a member of the U. S. Senate.
- In the year 1953, Kennedy got married to Jacqueline Lee Bouvier.
- In 1960 he won the president election and on January 20 1961 he became the 35th president of the Unites States.
- On 22 November 1963, when he was travelling with his wife to the Dallas Trade Mart, he was shot dead by Lee Harvey Oswald and died just after arriving in a nearby hospital.
The similarities between Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy
After the assassination of John F. Kennedy in 1963, the list of similarities was observed in the American Press in 1964. Martin Gardner , a popular American writer scrutinized the list and later wrote his book named The Magic Numbers of Dr. Matrix which contains 16 similarities between the presidents. In later years many amazing coincidences are cited by many researchers.
|1. Abraham Lincoln was elected to the House of Representatives in 1846.
|1. John F. Kennedy was elected to the House of Representatives in 1946.
|2. Lincoln was elected as president in the year 1860.||2. Kennedy was elected as president in the year 1960.|
|3. In the presidential election of 1860, Lincoln defeated John C. Breckinridge, who was the incumbent vice president.||3. In the presidential election of 1960, Kennedy defeated Richard M. Nixon, who was the incumbent vice president.|
|4. Lincoln’s inauguration for the post of president was held on March 4 1861.||4. Kennedy’s inauguration for the post of president was held on January 20 1961.|
|5. Lincoln fought for the war Black Hawk as a scout captain.||5. Kennedy fought for World war II as a navy lieutenant|
|6. Andrew Johnson was the vice president during Lincoln’s death who succeeded him.||6. Lyndon Johnson was the vice president during Kennedy’s death, who succeeded him.|
|7. Lincoln was concerned for the African Americans and worked to free slaves.||7. Kennedy work for civil right movement related issues.|
|8. Andrew Johnson was born on 1808 and was a southern.||8. Lyndon Johnson was born on 1908 and was a southern.|
|9. Lincoln was suffered from Marfan’s syndrome which is a genetic disease.||9. Kennedy was suffered from Addison’s disease which is a genetic disease.|
|10. Lincoln’s last name is comprised of 7 letters.||10. Kennedy’s last name is also comprised of 7 letters.|
|11. Lincoln was blessed with four children.||11. Kennedy was also blessed with four children|
|12. Willie Lincoln, son of Lincoln died in 1862 during their stay in white house.||12. Patrick Kennedy, son of John F. Kennedy died in 1963 just two days after his birth during their stay in white house.
|13. Lincoln was shot in the head and it was on a Friday.||13. Kennedy was also shot in the head on a Friday.|
|14. Lincoln was accompanied by his wife and another couple during assassination.||14. Kennedy was also accompanied by his wife and another couple during assassination.|
|15. John Wilkes Booth, the assassin of Lincoln was born in 1839.||15. Lee Harvey Oswald, the assassin of Kennedy was born in 1939.|
|16. Lincoln was shot when he was in the ford’s theatre.||16. Kennedy was shot when he was travelling by a Lincoln vehicle which was made by Ford.|
|17. Lincoln’s secretary name was Kennedy.||17. Kennedy’s secretary name was Lincoln.
|18. Lincoln was warned by his secretary not to go to ford’s theater.||18. Kennedy was also warned by his secretary not to go to Dallas.|
|19. Booth escaped from the theater and trapped in a warehouse.||19. Oswald escaped from a warehouse and trapped in a theater.|
|20. Booth was assassinated before his trial.||20. Oswald was also assassinated before his trial|
There are many more similarities people cited between Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy. Some of them do not have any evidence. Most of the similarities are regarding dates which are accurately 100 years apart. The year of their election is true for which there is evidence. The number of letters in their name is just a coincidence. There is no evidence that Booth was born in the year 1839. Also there is no record regarding the name of Lincoln’s secretary as Kennedy.